Thursday, September 17, 2009

What's Your Wallah?

Seth struck a nerve with me this morning. I pride myself of being able to multi-task like a mad woman (literally), but there is something to be said for going deep versus wide. In fact, I believe that going vertical is the key to success in small business, but applying to other areas of my life? Hmmm...I don't know. More contemplation required, but for now, ponder Seth's thought...

[You're getting this note because you subscribed to Seth Godin's blog.]

Chai Wallah It's so tempting to do a little bit of everything. All the tools are there, a click away. You can be the designer, the copywriter, the head of customer service. Hey, you can even do the manufacturing or easily outsource it to a commodity producer. One benefit of diversification is that you can average out your risk. Or you can be a wallah. Someone who does only that one thing. An old colleague of mine calls himself a chai wallah. Perhaps he loves spiced tea, but I'd prefer to believe it's a reminder that his success lives and dies on the performance of just one task. When you go all in, it focuses your attention and effort, doesn't it?


Julie Gordon White, Broker BlueKey Business Brokerage 510.812.2233 cell
www.bluekeybma.com www.pinkbizbroker.blogspot.com